Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Taxi Driver (1976)


Robert DeNiro as Travis Bickle, Cybill Shepherd as Betsy, and Jodie Foster as Iris play in Taxi Driver. This movie is about a war vet who comes back to New York and gets a job as a taxi driver and sees the city as a disgusting cesspool of filth and degenerate people. As he tries to find out what his role in the world is he decides to take out a corrupt politician but is thwarted and goes vigilante to take out a group of pimps.

I found the movie hard to follow and throughout the movie I do not know what to think about Travis. At first I thought of him as a creep and all around uneducated idealist. To this day I do not know what to think of him even though towards the end he is depicted as a vigilante hero who saved a young girl from the downward spiral of becoming a prostitute. Once again, in a lot of movies from this time, there are many scenes that have a deeper meaning that is left to the viewer to determine what the director is trying to convey. I am not a fan of this because there can be so many different things that the director can be trying to say and I like to think that they do it for their own personal reason and us as an audience just need to accept it and move on, it is, after all, their opinion and message about a confusing time. I like the movie, but like I said, I am still confused about the main character.

I would definitely watch this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment