Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Conversation (1974)


Once again, another conspiracy movie. This time, though, focuses on spying and secretly recording conversations by any means necessary. Harry Caul (Gene Hackman) is one of the best buggers in the world, but his paranoia of his personal life or history becoming more public than his wishes it to be suggests that he is slowly going crazy. He seems to feel that nothing is as it seems and there are others trying to gain the information that he was contracted to acquire. Harry's past also comes into play when he discovers that peoples lives are in danger with the information that he holds. Does he give in and fulfill his contract and release the information to his client, or does he destroy the evidence and potentially save lives?

I thought this movie was a lot more thought out than the previous one. Coppula definitely understands his audience better and knows that to divulge and what not to. I feel as though I am decently perceptive but this movie had me at the end. I was not expecting what happened.  Although there was an ambiguous ending, I feel as though there was enough closure to where I can accept the events of the story, it leaves me wondering what happened, but I didn't feel cheated by the movie.

I would watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment