Thursday, March 25, 2010

Shaft (1971)


Shaft to me was about a black detective during the 70's that really felt at home in his environment. He knew the streets and he knew the language. Basically he walked the walk and he talked the talk. Shaft was charged with finding the daughter of a gangster in the midst of a gang battle for control of Harlem. The Italian Mafia was moving in and decided to use the daughter as leverage. Shaft must track the mafia down and rescue the gangsters daughter, otherwise, who else will?

I went into this movie with a different mindset. I have never seen the movie before but I knew about all of the different references from the movie used in various other media. I was thinking more along the line of an action movie instead of a detective flick with a little action on the side. Maybe something more along the lines of Starsky & Hutch. I do like how the characters seemed more real and less like they were models behind a window from us. The characters were believable for the most part.

Overall I liked the movie and I hope to see it again.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the movie surprised you. It's always nice when that happens.

    ReplyDelete