Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Parallax View (1974)


The Parallax View with Warren Beatty is a conspiracy theory movie about a newspaper reporter (Joe Frady) who feels that he has stumbled upon a secret society of assassins who ultimately control the fate of the government from the shadows. The plot begins with a senator's assassination and over the years following, almost every person associated with that specific event mysteriously ends up dead. Joe stumbles across a recruitment paper but he is not ready for what he is about to experience.

I felt that the idea behind this movie was solid, but I found the delivery more annoying than anything at all. Excessively long shots left me sitting there saying to myself, "Really? Is this really necessary?" I felt as though the director, Pakula, was trying to instill tension in the audience but I do not believe that he succeeded. I think he made more people annoyed from this that what was needed. There is also a propaganda film in the middle of the movie that skewed the line between enemy and country, family and the love for them, among many other things. The scene itself was excessively long and made me feel like I was going to have an epileptic attack.

Ultimately, I respect what the director was aiming for, but I felt that in his early years of directing that he was trying too hard and was not completely experienced and I think that those faults shone through his overlaying plot and intent.

I hope to never see this movie again.

No comments:

Post a Comment